Parish Council Minutes - May 18

Minutes of the Threlkeld Parish Council Meeting held at Threlkeld Village Hall, on Tuesday 22 May 2018 at 7.30pm

 

Present:  Cllr Carolyn Cripps, chaired the meeting with Cllr Mick Le’Huray, Cllr Dot Benson, Cllr David Arkley, Cllr John Pickering, Cllr Madeleine Singleton, Cllr Les Dalzell Cllr Tom Wentworth-Waites (CCC)& Cllr Richard Sealby (EDC) attended

 

Members of Public

5 Members of the public

 

2017 / 256 – Election of Chairperson for Council Year 2018/19

  • It was agreed for Cllr Carolyn Cripps to continue as Chairperson

2017 / 257 – Election of Vice Chairperson for Council Year 2018/19

  • It was agreed for Cllr Roger Bragg to continue as Vice Chairperson

2017 / 258 – To receive the Chairperson & Vice Chairperson’s declaration of Acceptance of Office

  • The DAO was received from Cllr Carolyn Cripps, Cllr Roger Bragg’s to follow

2017 / 259 – Apologies

  • Cllr Roger Bragg, Cllr Donald Angus

2017 / 260 – Minutes

  • The minutes of the Council meeting held on 18 April 2018 was agreed for signing and initialling as a true record (Circulated prior to meeting).

2017 / 261 - Declarations of Interest

  • Cllr Carolyn Cripps – 2017/274 – Planning application – 7/2018/3021

2017 / 262 - Exclusion of Press & Public (Public Bodies Admission to Meetings Act 1960)

  • Not applicable to any agenda items. 

2017 / 263 - Democratic Half Hour / Public Question Tim-e

  • Joe Davis spoke in objection to planning application 7/2018/3021, the main points were:
    • Loss of green field
    • Change of character
    • Spoiling/loosing views
    • There is a need for housing, however, affordable housing, which this development is not
    • The LDNPA Annual Monitoring Report shows that the number of homes required has already been met, and has been exceeded
    • The new houses at Milliards Corner currently being built for EHA a will be rental homes, due to difficulties with selling houses with local occupancy clauses
    • The development does not serve the community
    • School – the school is loosing a large number of children to Keswick School this year, this is because of a baby book year, and is the same across all schools.
    • A new housing development does not guarantee children of school age, especially when the development is not affordable.  Also, children of primary school age living at the new houses does not mean they will attend the school.
    • Only 60% of the children in the catchment area for the September 2018 intake are going to Threlkeld School, the others going to schools in Keswick etc., this has been the same for the previous 2 intakes. 
  • Mike Chapman also spoke in objection to planning application 7/2018/3021, mainly regarding the petition which has been circulated.  The petition gives a principle which people will not agree with, 2/3 bed local housing is needed, which people do support, however this development is not local affordable housing.  People do not always realise what they have put their name to, the petition is a hypothetical philosophy.

2017 / 264 - Eden District Council & Cumbria County Council Representation 

  • Cllr Tom Wentworth-Waites gave an update, including, after a tough winter the roads have been a particular focus at Eden Local Committee as the condition of our carriageways has taken a beating. We have been looking at ways in which to divert funds from various different pots to bolster the spend on these damaged roads and try to catch up after a long hard winter.  We are also looking at ways to learn from this winter’s weather and to have systems and procedures in place to support rural, isolated communities if and when the weather is as extreme as we have seen early this year.  I have recently stood down as Vice Chairman of the Eden Local Committee but will continue to work hard as part of a very effective and hard-working committee.  I’ve also been very focused on speeding in the division, especially on routes through Hesket, Armathwaite and surrounding areas. I’ve asked for speed tests to be carried out in areas that are regularly highlighted as speeding zones. I’m also working to help communities who are affected by heavy commercial and agricultural traffic coming through villages in large numbers and high speeds.     There are also the on- going concerns such as helping communities and parishes to obtain funding for various community projects and schemes.  There is also the ongoing refurbishment of cast-iron sign posts. This scheme is working around the region re-casting and repainting our signposts but does take time as they are all done by hand and by one specialist refurbisher.  But they are getting done!
  • Cllr Richard Sealby advised that at the recent council meeting Mary Robinson was re-elected as Chairperson and William Patterson as Vice Chairperson.  Councillors were appointed to different committees.  It was agreed to postpone the Electoral boundary review.  The planning department made improvements and was ahead of targets during 2017/2018.  The new Chief Executive was agreed for appointment – Rose Rouse. 
  • Richard asked about the toilets and was advised that TPC had agreed they were not able to take them on, and that the village hall was in discussions with EDC regarding this matter. 

2017 / 265 – Review and adoption of policies, as stated in the Standing Orders

  • It was agreed to adopt the following policies;
    • Standing Orders
    • Complaints Procedure
    • Financial Regulations
    • Freedom of Information Policy & Publications Scheme
    • Asset Register
    • Risk Management Policy & Protocol
    • Press and Social Media Policy, Inc. Guide for press/public attending meetings
    • Data Protection - includes GDPR

2017 / 266 – Dickney

  • Following advise from a solicitor, TPC agreed:
    • The access cannot be widened, surfaced, altered or used for a different use.  The parish council, even if it does not own the village green can prosecute the offender.  Therefore, use by agricultural vehicles does not necessarily enable access to be used for a residential dwelling.  It is not possible to create a right of way over a registered village green.
    • The Clerk to thank the solicitor for his advice, and that we will be in touch if further advise/support is needed. 

2017 / 267 – Jubilee Croft - Path

  • Further to the APM when the head teacher of Threlkeld School gave an update and requested permission for the school to create a path around the perimeter of Jubilee Croft.  TPC Agreed to this but will take no responsibility for the path.

2017 / 268 – EDC Devolution and Transfer of Assets

  • The contract for the transfer of lights has been received and has been circulated.  To be discussed further prior to signing, the deadline for return is 30.09.2018.

2017 / 269 – Kiln Howe

  • The Environment Agency have completed further works.  To be monitored for completion

2017 / 270 – Path from Town Cross to A66

  • It was agreed for the Clerk to contact CCC/HE/EHA with regards to the broken fence.
  • It was agreed for the Clerk to contact EHA with regards to the path.

2017 / 271 – Outdoor Classroom

  • Councillors to look in the outdoor classroom to see if the benches proposed would be suitable. 

2017 / 272 - Finance

  • 272.1 - The Bank Reconciliation for May 2018 was approved for by the Chairman

DATE

DESCRIPTION

 EXPENDITURE

 INCOME

22/05/2018

G W McKanes

 £          91.98

 

22/05/2018

Cartmell Shepherd

 £          90.00

 

22/05/2018

Threlkeld Village Hall

 £          14.00

 

22/05/2018

BHIB

 £        629.07

 

22/05/2018

ARM Handyworks

 £          70.00

 

22/05/2018

Keswick Accountants

 £        290.00

 

22/05/2018

R Kelly

 £        137.44

 

22/05/2018

R Kelly

 £        206.79

 

22/05/2018

R Bragg

£        105.00

 

Monies received at the meeting

22/05/2018

Car Parking

£          388.49

 

22/05/2018

Advertising

£             20.00

 

22/05/2018

Rent

£             65.00

 

 
  • 272.2 – The internal audit was discussed, and it was agreed for the Annual Governance Statement and accounting statements to be signed. 

2017 / 273 - Highways

  • The Highways Spokesperson gave an update including:
    • Pothole – some repaired, others still required to be repaired.
    • Barriers have been collected.
    • Trees on A66 required to be cut back still.
    • The highways spokesman and clerk both advised that the more people who report issues to CCC/HE the better, it is not solely the responsibility of the parish council. 

2017 / 274 - Planning Applications

Reference No.

Description

Location

Comments

7/2018/3046

Renovation of existing cottage, including new roof, windows, two-single storey extension

Guardhouse Cottage, Guardhouse, Threlkeld, Keswick, CA12 4SZ

No objections

7/2018/3051

Replacement of existing carport with attached garage

Hillcrest, Threlkeld, CA12 4RX

No objections

7/2018/3021

Residential housing development – NEW PLANS & DOCUMENTS

Land to West of Station Road, Threlkeld

OBJECT:

TPC are not against housing, local affordable housing is required, however this development does not meet this criteria. 

Our previous comments still stand:

No local need (CS18 & CS04) for market led developments.  Threlkeld is a ribbon/linear development, and this development is outside the existing line, Threlkeld Housing Association have historically struggled to sell homes which are for local needs. 

2017 / 275 - Correspondence

  • All correspondence circulated prior to the meeting was noted. 

2017 / 276 - Flag Flying Dates

  • 2 June Coronation Day
  • 9 June Official celebration of Her Majesty’s birthday

2017 / 277 - Reps. Reports

  • Village Hall – Cllr Dot Benson

2017 / 278 - Matters to be placed on the next agenda

  • As above
  • Village tour

2017 / 279 - Date of the next meeting

  • The next Parish Council meeting will be held on Tuesday 22 May 2018, at 7.30pm

 

The meeting was closed at 21.10